Research Assistant Trait Discovery
Oude Campsweg 35C, 2678 NN De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is an international leading breeding company focused on cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in De Lier we are looking for a Research Assistant Trait Discovery.
Our organization grows and flourishes. To strengthen our Trait Discovery team we are looking for a Research Assistant.
As Research Assistant your aim is contribute to increase the efficiency and impact of breeding by developing innovative phenotyping methods to measure traits of interest in several ornamental crops. With your background in plant physiology, phenotyping and genetics you use phenotyping methods available to screen large germplasm panels for several traits. In addition, you support the maintenance and characterization of plant genetic resources available and the transference of traits of interested to breeding. Your daily activities are dynamic, consisting mostly of hands-on and some office based tasks. You will work independently and as part of a team within and across disciplines like Plant Physiology and Genetics. In addition, you maintain a small network of stakeholders such as Operations and Breeding. You are based in our Breeding Technology Center in De Lier and the ability to travel to other company locations in the Netherlands is highly desired.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Develop innovative and efficient methods for phenotyping large germplasm panels.
• Design, plan and execute experiments for the different Trait Discovery projects.
• Search and read scientific papers, write protocols, reports and literature reviews.
• Plan your work schedule independently according to the activities assigned to you, projects timeline and priorities agreed with the team.
• Work in close collaboration with colleagues of the trait discovery and other teams.
• Perform scouting activities for novel relevant methods, tools and technologies.
• Able to multitask and work on different projects and crops at the same time.
• BSc or MSc degree in plant breeding, physiology, genetics or related discipline.
• Desired experience with phenotyping methods, experimental design, image analysis, data collection, analysis and visualization.
• Able to handle (plan and execute) a large diversity of activities on different projects and crops at the same time mostly comprising of hands-on tasks in the greenhouse and lab.
• Able to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary teams.
• Analytical and critical mindset with strong problem-solving and pro-active attitude.
• Excellent communication skills and command of the English language, both verbal and written. Dutch or willingness to learn Dutch is a plus.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is a worldwide leader in breeding and development of flowers and plants. Our annual turnover is around 360 million euro. We have more than 7.700 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to our Dümmen Orange success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. We take pride in our corporate social responsibility efforts investing in the health, safety, and personal development of our staff as well as in innovative and sustainable techniques.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Ana Campos (Technology Lead Trait Exploration), via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.