Research Assistant Artificial Intelligence
Oude Campsweg 35C, 2678 NN De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research & Development department in De Lier we are looking for a Research Assistant Artificial Intelligence.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment. As a Research Assistant you will strengthen the Artificial Intelligence group which is part of the R&D department. You will assist in projects to support plant breeding with computing methods, mostly to perform image analysis. We are developing software to measure traits (physical characteristics) of plants automatically from images, which will contribute to our predictive breeding objectives. In most projects you will work with cutting-edge artificial intelligence technologies. You will also develop automated scripts for the analysis of large datasets, and contribute to the maintenance of the IT infrastructure for our Trait Genetics team.
Collaboration is key for this job position. You will work closely with breeders and scientists from different backgrounds (including bioinformatics, biology, phytopathology, genetics and trait discovery). It is important to have a multidisciplinary mindset as you will perform tasks from multiple technical domains (for example data science, data engineering, back-end and front-end development) to support our Trait Genetics team.
You will be based in our Breeding Technology Center in De Lier and report to the Project Lead Artificial Intelligence.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Contribute to the design and development of innovative data science methods, mostly for image analysis and often based on deep learning.
• Support the development of software solutions to integrate the data science methods.
• Implement front-end solutions and pipelines for the routine application of the developed methods (for instance notebooks).
• Analyze large datasets using the developed methods, often to obtain measurements of plant material from breeding experiments.
• Support the maintenance of the IT infrastructure and other existing software tools within our Trait Genetics team.
• Scout the literature for novel data science and image analysis methods.
• Present the data science results to collaborators and stakeholders.
• MSc in a relevant field (for example computer science, bioinformatics, plant sciences, applied mathematics) and <2 years work experience.
• Previous experience with computer vision and data science methods. Experience with OpenCV and/or deep learning methods is a plus.
• Excellent programming skills, ideally in python (R is a plus), and a good command of the Linux operating system.
• Eager to learn technologies for software development, data engineering (for instance Docker, Kubernetes, SQL) and cloud computing.
• Ability to work independently and in fast-paced multidisciplinary teams.
• Affinity with plant breeding and related biological disciplines.
• Good communication skills and can present to different types of audiences.
• Excellent command of English and willingness to learn Dutch.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a dynamic working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange follows the Collective Labour Agreement for the Greenhouse Horticulture Sector which offers competitive leave benefits and pension scheme at BPL Pension. We invest in your future by paying a large part (2/3) of the pension premium.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 350 million euro. The company employs over 7.300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Antonio Garcia-Uceda Juarez (Project Lead Artificial Intelligence), via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.