Lead Applied Quantitative Genetics
Oudecampsweg 35C, 2678 NN De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in De Lier we are looking for a Lead Applied Quantitative Genetics
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
As a Lead Applied Quantitative Genetics you will strengthen our Trait Genetics group which is part of the Research department. With your background in statistics and genetics, you will help steering the in-house development of software tools for predictive breeding. You will work with Breeding teams Collaboration is an important feature of the job, and you will work closely with scientists within Trait Genetics as well as other expertise groups such as Trait Discovery, Plant Physiology and Phytopathology. You will also work very closely with Breeding teams to optimize their breeding approaches for both simple and complex traits, taking into account phenotypic and genomic data. In addition, you will act as their first point of contact for quantitative genetic support. You are based in our Breeding Technology Center in De Lier and you will report to the Technology Lead Trait Genetics in De Lier.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Perform scouting activities for novel tools and technologies.
- Apply quantitative genetic models to support breeding programs in a wide range of crops.
- Lead genomic prediction initiatives focusing on optimal selection of parents and pipeline advancement (in partnership with Breeding teams).
- Influence the adoption of genomic prediction methods, contribute towards their integration in the population improvement process and the transformation of respective breeding schemes.
- Responsible for developing and leading strategies for the continuous improvement of training datasets and the increase in prediction accuracy to optimize breeding schemes for target traits in alignment with product profiles and market needs.
- Monitor and audit effectivity of breeding programs (germplasm improvement, genetic variance, product development, trial design, integration of digital phenotyping strategies) and suggest improvements to management.
- Train breeders in how to optimally use our in-house developed quantitative genetic software tools.
- Serve as first point of contact for any quantitative genetic questions.
- Collaborate closely with other research (mainly Quantitative Genetics, Bioinformatics, Trait Discovery, and Phytopathology) and Breeding teams and manage relationships with stakeholders such as Technology Application and Global Product Management.
- PhD in a relevant field in biology (for example animal or plant breeding, plant science, genetics, bioinformatics or similar).
- Proven track record in experimental design and in the analysis of (field) trial data, quantitative genetics (heritability and breeding value estimation, genomic prediction, random regression) and exploration of genomic datasets.
- Excellent programming and visualisation skills in R are a must and ideally you also show willingness to become acquainted with DevOps.
- Excellent understanding of plant breeding is essential. Hands-on experience in plant breeding programs with genomic prediction would be highly appreciated.
- Enthusiasm and aptitude to work in cross-functional teams.
- Inquisitive, innovative and critical mind-set and a creative and pro-active attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (in English) tailored to the target audience.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 350 million euro. The company employs over 7.300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Camillo Berenos (Technology Lead Trait Genetics), via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.