Project Lead Trait Exploration
Oudecampsweg 35C, 2678 NN De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in De Lier we are looking for a Project Lead Trait Exploration.
Our organization keeps moving. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment. As Project Lead Trait Exploration your aim is to develop tools and technologies that lead to the discovery of traits in ornamental crops. With your background in phytopathology, genetics, phenotyping, experimental design and statistics you contribute to the development of the next generation varieties with novel traits. You will manage a group of scientists from the Trait Discovery and Phytopathology team. In addition, you support the pre-breeding activities through the acquisition and maintenance of genetic resources and transfer of traits to breeding.
Daily activities are dynamic, consisting of hands-on activities, project management and people leadership. You will work independently and as part of a team within and between disciplines (including Genetics, Plant Physiology and Phytopathology) and manage relationships with stakeholders such as R&D Operations, Breeding and the Phytopathology team that routinely screens germplasm and Breeding. You are based in the Breeding Technology Center in De Lier and report to the Technology Lead Trait Exploration.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Initiate, manage and execute research projects focused on Trait Discovery and Phytopathology.
- Collect and maintain our genetic resources database and manage our compliance to global rules and policies.
- Develop innovative and efficient methods for screening large germplasm panels for a range of traits (including disease resistances).
- Secure the implementation of new breeding technologies developed by the team.
- Strengthen the freedom-to-operate position of the company.
- Stewardship in scientific rigor and knowledge management.
- Provide direct and functional leadership to individuals.
- PhD in phytopathology, genetics or plant breeding with a strong focus on plant-microbe interactions.
- Broad experience with project management, phenotyping methods, experimental design, data collection, statistical analysis and visualization.
- Able to plan and execute a large diversity of activities including project management and hands-on tasks.
- Analytical and critical mindset with strong problem-solving and pro-active attitude.
- Enjoys working in a team and demonstrated people leadership skills.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 390 million euro. The company employs over 7,500 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Camillo Berenos (Research Director), via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.
An assessment can be part of the recruitment process.